2022 is quickly becoming the year of EdTech and with the wealth of new technologies available, it’s no surprise that some terms have risen to the top of the list. Take a look at some of the most popular searches.
- Universal Design for Learning
- Online Learning Platforms
- Social Learning
- Hybrid Learning
- Virtual Classroom
- Open Education Resources
- Adaptive Learning
- Mobile Learning
- Personalized Learning
As digital transformations in education continue to evolve and expand the above trends have become increasingly common. Here’s a quick overview on some of the most popular terms.
- Gamification — Gamification in learning is a technique that utilizes game-like elements and mechanics to provide users with an engaging, stimulating, and rewarding experience. This approach applies the elements of gaming such as points, levels, rewards, challenges and leaderboards within educational settings to motivate learners and increase their engagement with content.
- UDL is an approach to designing learning experiences that are accessible and effective for all learners. It is based on the concept of providing flexible options for how, when, and where students learn. This allows learners to customize their learning experience so that they can engage with content in a way that works best for them.
- Online learning platforms are becoming increasingly popular in education today thanks to their user-friendly interface and easy access to content. These platforms allow students to learn at their own pace, connect with peers and professionals, participate in discussions and forums, and track their progress.
- Social learning — is an educational approach based on the idea that learning can be enhanced through interaction, collaboration, and communication between learners. It encourages active engagement in learning activities, such as discussions, debates, reflections, and problem-solving to promote knowledge building and critical thinking
- Hybrid learning combines traditional classroom instruction with digital elements, and provides a personalized approach to education.
- Virtual classrooms enable students to communicate and collaborate with their peers in real-time, allowing for immersive learning experiences.
- Open Educational Resources (OERs) are publicly available materials used for teaching, learning, and research.
- Adaptive learning is an individualized approach to instruction, where each student works at their own pace and receives personalized instruction based on their level of knowledge.
- Mobile learning allows students to access educational content anywhere, anytime, with the convenience of a mobile device.
- Finally, personalized learning gives students the opportunity to take control of their learning and make it their own. It allows teachers to tailor instruction to meet the individual needs of each student, and provides more engaged learning experiences that are tailored to their interests, abilities, and goals.
These EdTech terms will continue to be essential for education in 2022 and beyond as technology continuously reshapes the way we learn. Each of these terms provides unique opportunities for students and educators to engage in more meaningful learning experiences, no matter where they are. As EdTech becomes more widely adopted, these terms will become even more common and essential to the teaching and learning process.